24 February 2008

What do Kobe, a Venti coffee of the day and the Bible have in common?

Today is an exciting day. I''m just a couple hours away from getting on an airplane to Seattle. In mid-December I was surfing the net looking for a conference I could attend. I have a strong desire to get better in my role at church and work on some of my weak spots. In this case I found a conference called "Resurgence: Text and Context" being hosted by Mars Hill Church in Seattle. The conference is about developing stronger Biblical preaching skills, how to stay true to the "text" (Bible) while being relevant in the "context" (current culture). I was able to get some financing from an organization our church is aligned with and now I'm off. I'm really looking forward to learning from big name guys like Mark Driscoll and John PIper. (I know that some people don't like them but I'll do my best to discern the good and leave behind the bad)

This is also my first time in Seattle so it'll be nice to experience one of the nicest cities in America and one that many have suggested I'll love. I knew this trip was meant to be when I cross referenced the dates with the Sonics games that were on found that on one of our free nights the Lakers are in town. That's right, I'm going to Sunday night's Lakers/Sonics game!!! I haven't been to a live game since I was 11 years old doing the Disneyland tour with my mom. Also, Seattle is the home of Starbucks. For those of you that don't know I've taking a major liking to the dark-roast coffee giant of the world in the last few years. I will get a chance to visit the store where the whole thing started....I'm so excited. It should be a wonderful trip. I'll try to post while I'm there, maybe get some pics or vids on the blog.

(p.s. if you haven't signed the reader census below please do)

3 comments:

Grandpa Steve said...

God is rewarding your discipline and hunger for his will.

I'm glad Melissa is able to spend some time with N&G while you are away.

Shane Sowden said...

I am totally jealous. You can't pick a better conference. Driscoll and Piper are money. Mahaney is sweet as well. Great speaker and very conficting. Have fun man. These people you know that don't like Piper and Driscoll...what are their reasons?

Melissa said...

I'm so happy that you get to put a lot of your favorite things together in one trip. I'm very jealous that you are in Seattle, I love it there! I hope you have a great week. I look forward to hearing about it when you get back.

Archives