19 March 2006

Fight Night

Tonight began like usual and ended a bit more unusually. We got off the bus coming home from church and started our walk across an intersection we've crossed several times before. I quickly noticed there was a little but of a scuffle going on. As I looked closer I saw that two dudes were totally fist fighting. I'm usually not much of an intervener (especially after my brother-in-law got his nose busted breaking up a fight) but I feel extra confident against smaller Taiwanese guys. I walked over and I yelled at the two guys, something like "What the hell are you doing?!!" (in Chinese) It was a taxi driver taking it to a drunken passenger...who knows why...maybe he didn't pay or maybe he tried to rip the driver off...who knows? But no matter what it wasn't worth fighting over. So after I yelled they stopped throwing punches and just kept yelling at each other. I was o.k. with that as long as there was no blood and such. Then the drunk guy opened the cab door up and started messing around and the cab driver pulled him out and smoked him again. I stood quite near to stop it from getting out of hand. At this point there were a few Taiwanese onlookers keeping their distance...and doing absolutely nothing. The yelling continued but it looked like the punching had stopped...meanwhile Nevada had called the police (which is 119 not 911) on our cell and she was trying frantically to get them to understand. Finally they found her someone who spoke English and she informed them of the fight and told them our location. Within seconds we could hear the cop car coming and sure enough a cruiser and a cop on a scooter rolled up. We pointed to the fighters and walked home. I was a bit upset because I felt like Nevada didn't need to call the cops. I had it covered. I thought it was an unecessary intervention. At home in Saskatoon fights usually chill out and guys walk away so I didn't think the cops were necessary. In retrospect it was a great idea and I appreciate her quick thinking...my ego got in the way. As I was sitting here thinking about the whole fight situation it became clear to me that it was a great metaphor for me and Nevada's different faith journeys. I try to handle things on my own and don't like to ask for help especially from God. My ego fools me into thinking I have it covered until something happens that I can't handle. Nevada on the other hand reaches out for God right away and asks for help. She goes through life with help and support from God and I'm missing out on that. I have a lot to learn from her, I need to reach out for God more often and allow him into my life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice parable. Sounds like a good learning experience.

Jared Nordick said...

Hey Chris, I am writing a paper that is about the blogging phenomena that has taken internet users by storm. It is for a writing class, and I was wondering if I could use your blog as an example. It is such an advanced blog, and the only person who would check it out would be my prof. He is a really good guy, and keen on writing, so he would probably be really pumped to read it. Anyway, let me know if it is ok.

Loaf.

Jared Nordick said...

Sorry, just comment on my blog with a yes or no. that'll do.

Loaf.

Jared Nordick said...

My prof is Jeff Park. He did most of his work out of New York. For some reason he is teaching at the U of S right now. His class, although tough, I would say is my favorite right now.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Loaf.

Jared Nordick said...

What is your msn address, I'll add you to my list.

Loaf.

Archives