17 July 2007

Reading week

I've been chipping away at 3 books this summer, none of which are fiction like I had hoped but as long as I keep reading I'm o.k. with that. I'm making a commitment to read at least 30 pages a day this week. That may not seem like a lot to some of you but it's enough for me. The one book I've been investing in the most is "Unlikely Destinations:the lonely planet story". My uncle, aunt and cousins gave me a Chapters gift card and I bought this book on a whim. It's about the life, travels and business story of the couple who started the Lonely Planet travel books. I'm a sucker for biographies and this one is no different. In the last couple of years I've been really into business bios...people that start with nothing and end up as trendsetting millionaires. I've always had a bit of an entrepreneurial spirit so these books really excite me.

Another book I've been reading is "They Like Jesus But Not The Church" by Dan Kimball. It's been interesting so far. I guess I don't find it that shocking though to hear that people are offended by the church and don't want to be connected to local churches. That seems like a huge generational shift that I've been hearing about first hand for a while. I'm not to far into this book so I don't want to review it that much. I will tell you this little story though. When I bought this book my wife Nevada said "I don't get it everyone in our church loves the church". I giggled and said, "that's the whole point. it's not about the 50 people that attend our church in Taipei. It's about the 2.5 million that don't." and she said "oh...I get it". I believe being involved in a chuch community is valuable for people who follow Jesus and so I'm always trying to learn how to make church a better place or how to bring the church to the people.

The other book I'm reading (or about to start reading) is "Searching For God Knows What" by Donald Miller. I've read two other Miller books and they were awesome so I'm hoping this one will be good as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Searching for God Knows What" is excellent. A little more thought provoking than "Blue Like Jazz" I thought, but I really liked it.

Archives