08 August 2007

On the road again

I know at some point I've used that title before but it seems applicable every time I travel somewhere. I've been in L.A. for the past 5 days. My co-worker Lydia and I have been here to participate in the first annual CKM conference. CKM is an organization started by a Taiwanese American who has a heart to reach Chinese communities around the world. Dan, the former pastor at our church, began a relationship with CKM a couple years ago through a personal connection. They've supported our church financially and through prayer support so it was nice to meet some of the people....but... The conference was indeed a challenge for me. I was the only white guy in a room full of 50 Chinese people. All of the sessions were in Chinese, with very little translation. Although I don't mind pushing myself I did skip a few sessions just because my brain was tired of trying to understand what was going on. The other challenge was that their ministry style is much more Holy Spirit focused...some would say charismatic. I don't have any problems theologically with the influence of the Holy Spirit, it's just something I didn't grow up with and it definitely pushes my comfort zone. I sat back a lot and just tried to humble myself and learn to understand that we all worship in a different way. God's people are a diverse bunch and we need to support each other even it it weirds us out personally.

The highlight of the weekend was when Lydia and I were ordained. In CKM there are two levels of ordination Minister and Pastor. I still don't understand the difference. I wasn't able to ask for clarification because of the language barrier but I got the sense that it came down to level of experience and possibly education. I'm not too worried about the terminology all I know is that I have been trusted to lead in the church and now have the right to do wedding, visit the sick, visit prisons etc. It''s another positive step in the right direction.




4 comments:

Shane Sowden said...

That's cool man. When you taking off for home??? Amanda and I are in Stoon this weekend. Maybe we could hook up if you aren't gone yet.

Tim said...

Cool now you can visit people in prison! Honestly if you can connect with a prison chaplain in your are and do some prison visitation it is a life and faith altering experience. You won't regret it.

Kat said...

Rock on, brother! Get your butt on Messenger once and a while...man. So much new stuff goin' on...

Grandpa Steve said...

Wow, tears in my eyes.

Fantastic! I will be praying for you daily.

Archives