01 February 2008


This week has been a crazy ride. On the weekend I talked to my mom on the phone and I sensed that she was a little lonely so, with the support of my wife, I quickly planned a trip home. I arranged a ticket on Tuesday and flew home Wednesday. It was a full 24 hour travel day...Taipei-Tokyo (6 hr wait), Tokyo-Vancouver (5 hour wait), Vancouver-Saskatoon. I arrived at 6:00. My best friend Tom was there to pick me up with his wife Erin and their baby girl Maria (who I hadn't yet met). We headed toward the exit and then came the big step of walking out into the freezing Saskatchewan cold. It was cold but my body seemed to jump back into its Sask roots. It's cold but still livable. Tom dropped me off at home, I rang the doorbell a few times and then made my way in. Mom was coming toward the door and completely thought that I was someone else. Once she realized it was me she was pleasantly surprised. (only Tom, my Grandma and my in-laws knew I was coming) We hugged and it was very emotional. We spent the evening having dinner and catching up....ok, I fell asleep on the couch for a bit. At 9:30 Tom picked me up so I could go to his basketball practice with him. We played for two hours at our old high school and it was super fun. Well...it was super fun until the last five minutes. I landed on someone's foot and my foot rolled over. Now usually this means an ankle injury for me, in this case my ankle felt fine so I was happy. However my foot was still killing me. I hobbled to the side, changed and hobbled to the car. When I woke up this morning I couldn't even walk to the bathroom. Blah, blah, blah...I have a broken foot and I'll be in a cast for 8 weeks. So that sucks but overall it's good to be here with my mom.


karen (gonyou) robertson said...

well welcome home!! what a nice surprise for you mom! hope your foot feels better soon. that kinda sucks. don't push it though. when i broke my foot, i decided to just wrap it tight and walk on it, that meant 6 more weeks on crutches for me!

Melissa said...

I'm glad it worked out that you could spend some time with your mom. I know it will be precious time. I hope your foot heals quickly and isn't too painful.

Anonymous said...

It was super nice to see you- too bad it was such a short one (it wasn't about me after all). I was disappointed that I didn't get a chance to say goodbye, I only thought of it as I drove away from my house on the way to Lloyd for the week. I hope you enjoyed your time here- say hi to your wife for me!